fot

Sportsmanship

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sportsmanship
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:07:40 +0100
Thanks for the 'old timer' racing info please keep it coming.

Part of my article is about 'good sportsmanship,' and being a stickler for
it, I get great pleasure in recounting examples of it in motor racing over
the years.

The thing about 'the greatest' sportsmen, in my opinion, is the fact that
part and parcel of their pure genius is their natural humility, and an
overwhelming sense of fair play.

One of the things I loathe in motor racing these days is to witness drivers
deliberately crashing into or pushing other drivers off the circuit. Not
too many years ago World F1 championships have been lost through this - and
won because of it. This bully-boy attitude always rankles with me and it's
a bloody disgrace - like the British football hooligans you've probably
seen trying to ruin the world cup football matches in Europe - I went cold
with shame when I saw it. There is a permanent cure for this sort of thing,
they're called 'Whipping stocks.' Local history round the fenland towns and
villages of Linclolnshire - not too long ago - proves beyond doubt that
offenders of the bully-boy type, once introduced to 'Mr.Birch', never
volunteer for a second meeting.

BUT, what a joy it was to see Sampras playing at Wimbledon last night.  He
developed an ankle injury, which was obviously a handicap, but went on to
win with some truly fabulous tennis - What an ambassador to tennis, sport
in general and the human race he is. In my opinion he is the greatest
tennis player ever - because he has 'all' the qualities I mention in my
second paragraph.

Paul