fot

Re: Chassis Numbers for Spitfires

To: mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: Chassis Numbers for Spitfires
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:51:01 -0700

"michael l. cook" wrote:

> There is often confusion about terms used to describe the serial number of a
>car, especially an import. When I first worked for
> Triumph, the serial number was referred to by the factory as a "Commission
>Number". "Chassis number" meant the same thing.When it comes
> down to it, anyone talking to me will hear Commission number, Serial number,
>Chassis number and VIN used interchangeably.
>
> I have never heard "Chassis number" used in reference to just a frame. The
>Chassis is the complete basis of the car and therefor
> carries the vehicle identity number. Otherwise, I agree with the build dates
>shown.
>
> It also needs to be pointed out that, prior to 1967, cars in sock at the end
>of a year could be re-titled to the next model year! Thus,
> a Mark I Spitfire could easily have been titled a 1964.
>
> Mike Cook

Michael,

Just a matter of semantics.  If you note: I said that "My" impression of
chassis number is the serial number of the frame.  It is
common for the British to refer to the commission number as the chassis number,
but it states plainly on the Spitfire commission plate
"Commission number"  not chassis number or serial number.

By the way, Webster defines chassis as: "the frame upon which is mounted the
body (as of an automobile or airplane)

Regards,
Joe