fot

Re: Chassis Numbers for Spitfires

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis Numbers for Spitfires
From: "michael l. cook" <mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:08:53 -0400

Joe Curry wrote:

> First off, those numbers are "Commission Numbers", which differ from "Chassis
>Numbers" (at least what I refer to chassis is the
> frame).  Actually the Mk1 was first produced in October 1962 and the last one
>was built Dec. 1964.
>
> The first Mk2 FC50001 was built in Dec. of 1964 and the last one FC88912 was
>built in January of 1967.
>
> Commission number FC22241 is a Mk1 built in late 1963.  For more detailed
>information, you can order a BMIHT production certificate
>
> Regards,
> Joe (C)
>
> EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > FOTers
> >
> >     British Victoria indicateds that Chassis Numbers for Mark I Spitfires
> > began at FC1 ( produced 10/61 to 12/64) and that FC50001 (produced 12/64 to
> > 1/67)  started the the Mark IIs. Is that correct. If it is not, where does
> > Chassis #22241 fit according to more authoritive records?
> >
> > Thanks In Advance, Cary

There is often confusion about terms used to describe the serial number of a
car, especially an import. When I first worked for
Triumph, the serial number was referred to by the factory as a "Commission
Number". "Chassis number" meant the same thing.When it comes
down to it, anyone talking to me will hear Commission number, Serial number,
Chassis number and VIN used interchangeably.

I have never heard "Chassis number" used in reference to just a frame. The
Chassis is the complete basis of the car and therefor
carries the vehicle identity number. Otherwise, I agree with the build dates
shown.

It also needs to be pointed out that, prior to 1967, cars in sock at the end of
a year could be re-titled to the next model year! Thus,
a Mark I Spitfire could easily have been titled a 1964.

Mike Cook