fot

Re: TR4A plugs

To: Matthew Wilder <mwilder@top.monad.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A plugs
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:50:42 -0400
At 10:17 AM 7/17/00 -0400, Matthew Wilder wrote:
>I called all over the area (SW NH) trying to find the NGK  BP7HS plugs.
>none of the car places had them. Finally called a bike shop and they had
>10 on the shelf.

Interesting - no-one here had any in stock either, but when they ordered
them for me (one day turn around), there were marked as being a VW
application (maybe a 1.8 liter VW, as I recall).

>The NGK web site recommended BP6HS for the street TR4a so I guess the
>"7" would be the way to go for racing.

After talking to the NGK plug guru, I switched from the BP6HS to the BP7HS
for the VTR Regional autocross.  He also suggested leaning out the carbs
a bit, so I dropped my main jets one size.  I did not do any back to back
tests, but the seat of the pants dyno says that the throttle response is
crisper and the car does not seem to have the slight bog that it used to
have.

He also suggested that once the optimal conditions were found for the
BP7HS plug to try out their BP7HVX plug, which is a motorcycle plug.
He suggested that it would work a bit better than the HS plug, but was
more sensitive to fouling out.

BTW, I saw some of Bob Lang's video of your car.  It looks like you've
really got that car hooked up well.

Hope that helps,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu