fot

Re: Pinning doors

To: Don Marshall <marshall@nefcom.net>, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pinning doors
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:00:17 -0400
Hey Don,
       Sorry we missed you at the Regional (which is why I'm a bit late
chiming in).

At 04:05 PM 7/13/00 -0400, Don Marshall wrote:
>Amici...
>
>Is there any preferred way to pin a TR4's doors shut (for vintage and Solo
>1)?  The doors are gutted and there's none of the original hardware on the
>B pillar left.  Also, it's freshly painted again, so I can't (don't want
>to) do any welding on the door or tub.

I don't know if it is the preferred way or not, but I can tell you what we
did on Chip Bond's car.  He added a fairly heavy gusset between the
upright and the side intrusion bar on his cage.  On his car, this was just
about the right place to put a hood pin so that it would come out through
the hole where the door handle had been.  We made the hole look a bit
better by making a scuff plate out of brushed aluminum to hide the rough
edges.  Another gusset at the bottom (or was it the one that's there at
the bottom of the door already, hmmm I don't remember for sure anymore)
provided a mounting point for a second hood pin.  This one required drilling
a hole in the door.

Oh, and for Joe Curry's benefit - we were able to cut away a large part
of the hinge such that it was quite light, and became a lift-off door.  It
should be obvious what we did, but it will be hard to describe.  Basically
we left just a single loop on the door pillar side, and a small projecting pin
on the door itself.  It met the letter of the rule that requires the original
door hinges to remain in place.

Hope that helps,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu