fot

RE: Clutch woes

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: Clutch woes
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 09:31:56 -0700
I don't know if this will help, but with my modifed clutches I typically
move the actuation point for the slave cylinder inwards at least an
inch--that typically means drilling a new hole on the actuating arm. This
gives you greater travel for the throwout bearing. I suspect your problem is
not so much where travel starts and stops (which is what is sounds like you
have been changing) but the total amount of travel available to disengage
the clutch. I run into this all the time with motorcycle clutches, which are
very finicky because they are usually multi-plate. Three factors influence
the amount of pressure plate movement you need--the trueness of all the
surfaces (any warping = more travel required to disengage), the frictional
characteristics of the materials, and the amount of play in the whole
system, including shaft play (i.e. your thrust washers might be sloppy).

I'd try whatever it takes to get more travel--you'll pay with greater effort
required on the pedal, but it's probably your answer. Or you could get a
longer travel slave cylinder, but that sounds like a lot of fabrication.