fot

Foot in Mouth Disease.

To: Bill Dentinger <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Foot in Mouth Disease.
From: Mike Jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 15:05:03 -0400
Dear Bill,
Free speech seems to stir up the wrath of many.  I, perhaps
more than most, certainly know the mis-communication that
can occur when the tone of voice, facial expression and
context is missing from the written word.  I'm sorry, Bill,
if my chiming in on the thread of your sincere toast to the
Queen Mum has placed you in an uncomfortable position.  I
meant it as an offhand compliment to you, and when I used
the term "broad," I meant it only with humorous, ironic
respect, as in, 'She's a feisty old broad," which the Queen
certainly has proven herself to be.   I just read Mr.
McCartney's objection, complete with insults for all
"gum-chewing, gob-slobbing" Americans, and I am aghast that
what I meant as admiration for both her attaining the
remarkable age of 100 and your acknowledging that fact
(rather gallantly, I thought) has been so vilified.  My
mistake, of course, seems to have been to post my off-hand
comment to the entire FOT list.  A second mistake seems to
have been not to account for the vagaries of American vs.
British vernacular.

Additionally, since my comment appeared under the E-mail
address of "Grand Wazoo,"  I want no one on the FOT list to
confuse my off-hand remark with anything said by Mike.  It
is purely my own, I own up to it, but I trust anyone who
knows me took it in the spirit intended.  With your
permission, I will continue to "lurk."

Sandy