fot

Re: Axle solutions - confused ....

To: <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Axle solutions - confused ....
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:38:14 -0500
FOT and Cary,
Correct me if I'm wrong in this summation. The Corvair solution is for IRS
cars (4A-6). There are lots of half shaft choices, including 240Z and
Mercedes. Also, new custom made hub assemblies are available from the UK
(Cambridge Motorsports and TR Enterprises), and the sellers promise
"bullet-proof" reliability. The shorty axles in the diff are another
problem, but not life threatening in nature. The axle failures most often
discussed on the list are the solid axle cars, (2-4A) and this is where a
shortened Ford rear axle assembly comes into the picture. These failures are
life threatening, and a replacement Ford axle would seem to be a suitable
and acceptable solution to most of us. The vintage race organizations would
need to be persuaded, but I see no reason to risk, life, limb or another car
like the Blue Streak for originality points.

Bob Kramer
TR4, TR4A, TR6, 2.5 Saloon
rgk@flash.net