fot

Auto-X vs Gymkhana

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Auto-X vs Gymkhana
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@smtp.interactive.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:04:09 +0000
Joe Curry wrote:
> Well, I too ran gymkhanas back in the late 60's and as far as I can tell
> they are the same thing as what is called autocross and slalom
> events.  There is probably some defining difference, but as far as I can
> tell any difference seems to have been lost in the ensuing
> years.  The SCCA Solo II events I have attended in the past year or
> so all look pretty much the same as what we used to call Gymkhana!
>
> So, I'd have to conjecture that technically, there probably is a subtle
> difference, but in application there doesn't appear to be any!
> I have never seen any done on actual roads, but I wouldn't rule
>  that out either.

At one time (and perhaps not on any universal basis either)
the supposed difference was that a gymkhana had one
or more "parking garage" stops and didn't have the higher
speeds found in some of the more open autocrosses
done today.  Otherwise I agree with Joe and others
that there is essentially no real difference.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl