fot

TR axle breakage - solution

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: TR axle breakage - solution
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:48:18 -0500
As you know, several of us have been investigating alternative solutions
to the TR axle breakage problem. The previous best solution appeared to
be a Currie special-built axle for $1500.

We now have an alternative solution that is far better and it costs only
$700.

Basically, it consists of shortening the present axle housing, welding
on new ends, installing new Mosier one-piece axle / hub, and machining
your brake backing plate to fit.

The advantages should be pretty obvious -- same axle assembly so no
weight penalty, TR brakes, TR driveshaft yoke, Much much stornger axle
shaft, and axle retention in case of failure. (This is a semi-floater,
which means that if an axle breaks inboard of the bearing, the wheel
does not fall off, and the diameter of the axle outboard of the bearing
is about double, so breakage is unlikely. There have been no known
outboard failures by the circle track guys).

Both TR4 and TR3 axles can be accommodated, and we will try to
accommodate your stud diameter and length preference.

The way the shop would prefer to handle payment is that the car owner
will remove and send the axle to the machine shop along with a 50%
deposit. They will perform all work, and upon completion you send them
the other 50% and they send you the axle. You would pay shipping both
ways, or you can take the axle to the shop and pick it up personally.
The shop is in northwestern Illinois -- just outside Moline. Again, the
machining and parts wil be about $700.

The work will be done by a local reputable machine shop that is devoted
to doing specialty machining work for the speed industry - circle, drag,
tractor pulling, etc. They have a continual flow of axle alterations
similar to this for circle and drag racers.

My axle will be the guinea pig. We are ordering parts tomorrow and will
perform all operations on my axle to make sure we have all the
dimensions correct. We hope to have my axle completed in a month.

Now -- my internet provider is having big problems -- if you want to
correspond with me on this, keep trying. They will eventually get it
fixed. Or, if you want to talk about it, call me at 309-945-1196.

Again, I have no commercial interest in this. I will, however, provide
laison with the machine shop if necessary, since they are not on the
net. Once we are certain that my axle is okay, I'll give you the name of
the machine shop and all particulars.

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 but no longer racing