fot

Pebble Beach Report - Spits/Radiator

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Pebble Beach Report - Spits/Radiator
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:03:54 EDT
FOTers

    Had the opportunity at Pebble Beach to talk with Jim Philion? Phil and
his wife Beth (excellent driver) had the only Spitfire in the field. He
expressed an interest in being part of FOT, so I will be passing along their
nomination.

    According to Phil, their Spitfire has one of the special Leman's
heads/headers setup for running Webers. They have a second head that is
cracked. The car was originally raced by a some at the dealership in San
Francisco. Phil is involved with setting up the fall San Diego Vintage race
with Steve Earle.

    The Leman's Spit was missed by me. Hopefully it will return in the near
future and show its stuff. Also missing was the Peyote. Very few Triumphs are
ever accepted at this race, so I hope that the FOTers with these car will get
them back there next year.

    I also talked with some others mechanics there who are building a
spitfire racecar. They told me that they found that Audi 4000 aluminum
radiators readily fits into the Spitfire with minimal modification. How well
it works in a GT6, I do not know.

    It was a pleasure to meet Hardy for the first time and to see Bill
Babcock again. I also meet up Steve Knolls, one of the people who crewed for
Group 44 and has laprecord.com. He was an interesting fellow. Bill Warner
could not be found, although there were persistent rumors of him being
spotted (FOT Snipe Hunt).

    I also met up with Lanky. What a wealth of knowledge. Great Guy. He was
there helping a friend with a Champ Car. They had gearbox problems and never
made it unto the race grid. But they gave it one hell of try to get the car
repaired.

Cary