fot

Re: The Glen

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: The Glen
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
Hi

Regarding the removal of "cone scum" from your car, I have several offerings.

Fist off, real autocrossers never hit pylons. I'm obviously _not_ a real
autocrosser in that regard, as I hit them _everywhere_ including the
paddock, the freeway and even the entrance to the pits at NHIS! Hi John!

I guess it's safe to say that there is some affinity between me and
pylons, and I support that claim with the fact that the pylon affinity
occurs regardless of which car I'm actually driving. I was particularly
adept at "cone smashing" in a certain VW product that I drove a few
seasons ago. But I digress.

Now, removing the cone scum is frowned upon by serious Pylon Chasing
Fanatics.  Instead, the marks are worn like a "badge of courage".
Otherwise, your car would look like what the surfers call a "ho-dad" -
that is, you have all the right equipment, but you're not sure which end
of the board to stand on. So, leave those marks and enjoy embellishing your
story about how they got there... like "I was entering the bus stop while
passing Sterling Moss (ah, umm _Sir_ Sterling Moss)..." You don't have to
tell the listener that the Bus Stop was in NY state as opposed to the
Ardennes.

But anyway, try a little tar and bug remover... if that fails you might
have to resort to more agressive solutions like paint thinner or possibly
rubbing compound.

Me, I'm leaving the marks on my car for the time being.

Speaking of which, I finally broke down and bought Bert Levy's "Last Open
Road" book at Lime Rock. The author autographed the book by first
commenting about my FOT T-shirt and then writing: "Bob - another Triumph
SICK-O... Just like me!".

WOW!
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |