fot

Tow Vehicle Problem - Auto Transmission/Fords

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow Vehicle Problem - Auto Transmission/Fords
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:52:30 EDT
FOTers

    My Ford F350 (460 cu in) pickup tow vehicle from time to time does not
shift (e. g from second to third). This happens under load of a 20 foot
enclosed trailer with race car, the totals which I an estimating weighs about
6,000 lb. with spares, etc. This does not happen when the trailer is not
under heavier loads. I do not remember this happening when I am just towing
the trailer.

    This most frequently happens when I am accelerating to highway speeds
with the loads. However, it also happens when the truck has to go up a
steeper hill (not mountain). Taking my foot off the throttle and slowing is
about all that eventually result in the needed shift. This does win many
friends on the freeway. Nor does it produce an immediate shift, it typically
takes a while (miles) for the shift to occur.

    The Ford dealership mechanics that worked on the truck's transmission
felt they knew exactly what was causing it. It initially did not happen as
frequently after their efforts. But they did not eliminate it either.

    Has anyone else had this problem?

Cary

Cary