fot

RE: TR3 acquisition

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>,
Subject: RE: TR3 acquisition
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:22:32 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C024B9.B1661682
        charset="iso-8859-1"

It really makes good sense to modify the frame substantially to begin with,
so it would be great to use a spare frame for those mods. I welded the edges
of the entire frame since the spot welds permit flexing in between them.
This is a simple mod. Then I gusseted every structural attachment. If you
build a brace for the tub (I used conduit) that enables you to lift it off
with an engine hoist without twisting the tub, you can do a lot of fiddling
with the roll cage to get everything just right. I built stubs onto the main
frame tubes for the main loop attachment, with braces that weld onto the
frame right at the rear spring perch. I have a hoop under the dash and
intrusion bars that link the main hoop to the dash hoop. Then I brought a
short brace forward from the dash hoop to create hard points on the
firewall. I can bolt in a brace there that connects the shock towers to the
hardpoint, effectively creating a continuous (more or less) upper frame
brace from the rear spring perch to the shock tower. Your mileage may vary
on this last little addition--it's questionable as far as enhancing safety,
and it stiffens the frame hugely.

I like those cheesball fake minilight mag wheels just fine--the finish is
rough, and they look like they've been cast from recycled pop cans, but
they're strong and they look nice.

Don't use the TR6 wheels--much too scary. They effectively negate the
advantage of the axle conversion.