fot

Re: Lexan, was : Spitfire windshields

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Lexan, was : Spitfire windshields
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:27:40 -0700
In one of my former lives...over a period of years,  I used to vacuum form
Plexiglass, Lexan, ABS, and Styrene, in sheets as large as 4' x
8'... (and w/o vacuum forming, 8' x 10' pieces!)  and I made plenty of props
and set pieces using all the above materials... cutting it,
glueing it, shaping it, etc. etc...

I know what you're saying...  but theory and practice are two different things.
  The amount of flex across the top of the dash, where a
windshield is mounted... is not that significant... I would think... relative
to the flex across the cross section of the whole area
(floorboard, sides, to dash, etc.)

To call plexiglas "very brittle" is a little overboard...  standard plate glass
is "very brittle"...  You could punch plexiglass all day
long, and not get it to break...   it's all a matter of type of impact...
score it and whack it on a benchtop edge... sure, it will
break... but if your windshield is experiencing that sort of impact... well...
I hope your head and neck is still attached to your
shoulder when it's all over!  : )

I don't know about vinyl...  How well does it deal with sunlight?  scratches?
fleibility in the wind at speed?   (there does have to be
some structural intregrity there)

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying you don't have valid points... and maybe
vinyl is the way to go...  I just thought you were a little
biased about Plex...  as your wording and examples were, I felt, misleading...
to those that may not have experience with the material.

This thread is starting to sound like the answer is "all the above"...   like
someone manufacturing a windscreen product for TR's would
have to offer all the above materials as options...  as each has it's positives
and negatives...  and each buyer would have his own
preferences.   Bill Burroughs, for example, is probably never going to buy
Lexan again!

I do like to see the comments though... to weigh in the various opinions and
experience.

--Justin