fot

Re: Moss Forged Steel crankshaft

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Moss Forged Steel crankshaft
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:13:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Bob Kramer wrote:

> >Moss is advertising a new Forged Steel crankshaft for the TR2-4A for
> >$839.95.  THAT's very cheap insurance.  Forged Steel is very strong.
>
> FOT
> A friend sent me the above blip. I guess I dropped off the Moss mailing list
> and I haven't been getting their mailings. Does anyone know if this the
> equivalent of a Moldex crank? Price seems very reasonable compared to the
> numbers I've seen for those in the past.

This is not the same as a Moldex crank. Moldex cranks are made from a
solid billet.

In order of strength:

cast
cast: nitrided
forged
(forged:nitrided)
billet

Cost is directly proportional to strength.

But a new crank for a tractor TR is a good thing regardless. If your
rules don't allow billet cranks - a forged replacement crank would be
within the spirit of the rules... besides, aren't original cast TR2-4A
cranks getting hard to come by??

> Bob Kramer
> TR4, TR4A, TR6, 2.5 Saloon
> rgk@flash.net

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |