fot

Re: GT6 Triple Weber Manifold

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Triple Weber Manifold
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:15:03 -0700 (MST)
Triple DCOEs on a GT6 can take two basic routes.  You can use a later model
TR6 manifold and modify the bonnet ( cut with an axe, beat to fit, paint to
match) or you can get a stepped manifold set and work with that.  If the car
needs to conform to some set of rules, like SCCA prod car regs where you can't
modify the body for carb clearence, then one of the stepped setups is the way
to go.  I happen to actually have a couple sets of the bare manifolds on hand,
SAH 1101 (or is it 1011?)  There may be some folks on the list who don't know
that SAH stands for Syd A. Hurrell, father of Terry Hurrell who carries on the
family tradition with TriumphTune.

There isn't a whole lot of room under the GT6 bonnet.  How many times have you
seen them with a little dimple right near the nose of the bulge, pushed up from
the inside by a poorly placed hose clamp on the thermostat housing?  Anyway,
the straight across TR6 manifold that fits the later wide ports should fit
on a GT6, and are more readily available.  As I recall, though, TWM wanted
some outrageous price for their manifold and linkage set, even more than
Paeco!

I've actually driven one GT6 years ago that had the straight setup, and the
bulge wasn't too bad, aesthetically speaking.  And I once had a GT6 for a
month or so that had the stock carbs, and a "Weber bulge" that had been
welded up and repainted.  Odd.

Getting the linkage right is easier with the straight manifolds and a modified
bonnet, the stepped manifolds would require more fiddling.  I must admit I have
not actually done a GT6 myself, but I do keep thinking about that F Prepared
autocrosser.  But oddly enough, I did get a message from the fellow who now
has my 250, and he was wondering about putting Webers on that.  And if I do
drag my '69 TR6 out of the shed and get working on that, I wouldn't be too
surprised if it ended up sporting a gleaming set of DCOEs.  We shall see.

mjb.