fot

Monterey

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Monterey
From: "Frank Axelrod" <Frankster@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:14:13 -0500
Its too bad that Monterey and other "vintage only" events invite only the gear
headed elite.  Lets not forget that there a whole lot of Triumphs currently
running in the SCCA in various classes.  Consider the challenge here.  30 year
old technology versus buying a brand new Honda Prelude and strapping a role
cage in it.

Our Triumphs may be called "science fiction" cars by the so called elite but
in my opinion our competitiveness is reminiscent of the old Triumph factory
teams and other early racers that used innovation and "unique" interpretations
of the rules to win and win often.

Those museum pieces at Monterey are really race cars and should be used as
such.  I'd love to have a shot at setting the Monterey track record while
being chased by similar era cars.  As for aggressiveness..remember Sterling
Moss rolling his quarter million dollar ride earlier this year?  There truly
is a difference between parade laps and winning.

When the SCCA finally achieves their goal and forces our TR's out we're going
to be looking for a home and vintage will be the only place.  Either that or
the scrap yard.