fot

Re: Monterey

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Monterey
From: Bill Warner <bwarner@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:20:14 -0500
A long time ago....like 1978.....I went to the first vintage race at Watkins
Glen in my Brabham BT-8.  It was an ex-Denny Hulme/Tourist
Trophy winner that I found in a South Carolina junk yard.  I restored it top
the TT livery and it was pretty fast.  The vintage race was
sponsored by the Ferrari Club of America, and they gridded us according to
pecking order....not qualifying times.   Needless to say, my
friend Gordon Gimbel from California and I were gridded toward the back of the
pack.   When the green dropped Gordon (in a 289 Comp Cobra)
and I blew by some Greenwich, CT. gold-chain-and Gucci guy (with the skinny
blonde girlfriend) who was driving a 250LM (I went by on the
right...Gordon on the left) and disappeared.   It was one of the highlights of
my  not so stellar driving career which I still remember
today.  It was so sweet eating up those red cars.  Though I must say, one car,
a series II GTO was well driven by a great driver, Bob
Donner from Denver.   Those were fun days.  Regretably, I had to sell the BT-8
in 1989, and I am not so sure I would want to race it
today....too fragile...plus one had to lay down between two 11 gallon gas
tanks....no fuel cells.   I'm too old for that.  Bill Warner