fot

Re: exhaust

To: rdavis4@cfl.rr.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exhaust
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:04:13 EST
In a message dated 02/13/2001 5:33:29 AM Central Standard Time,
rdavis4@cfl.rr.com writes:

> I have a 1962 TR4 running vintage scca and hsr. The exhaust currently exits
> and ends in the middle of the car just as it passes through the frame. Does
> anyone have a recommendation for continuing to the rear of the car and
> possibly including a muffler of some kind.

Butch:

Greg Solow (sp?/The Engine Room in California) has done extensive work on
headers and exhaust for the TR engine.  Hopefully he'll make some comments.

My own two cents is that stopping it at the middle of the car where it passes
through the frame is a BAD idea.  We run a two inch exhaust out even with the
back of the car.  Mike Belfer always felt that this was both convenient and
constituted a 'tuned exhaust'.  Have a good muffler shop take the time to
bend proper pipes, and then snake it through the frame where it belongs.  It
is worth the extra effort.  Nothing worse than a loose exhaust system you
have to mess with on a race week end.  We don't run a muffler, and we have
never been shut down for noise.  And our engine is plenty loud.  We try to be
aware of where they test for sounds on each track, and if necessary we plan a
down shift there.  That might not be the fastest way around the track, but
this is Vintage Racing...we don't care.

Another consideration is if you do choose to run your exhaust out the side,
run it out driver's right.  Most sound testing is done from the outside of
the circuit.  But it think running it out the whole length to the rear of the
car is the way to go.

The VSCDA insists the exhaust exit behind the driver.

Bill Dentinger