fot

Help - Still Searching for TR2 Longdoor History

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Help - Still Searching for TR2 Longdoor History
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:06:50 EST
FOTers

    Since there has been considerable influx of new FOT members, I am taking
the liberty of once again requesting the anyone who has knowledge of a TR2
longdoor racecar to contact me.

    I have had fairly extensive contacts with 1950s/1960s/early 1970s racers
in the upper midwest. I have not encountered anyone who remembers a TR2
longdoor racecar. Don Giese, who raced aTr2 out of Minnesota, claims that he
does not remember any Tr2 longdoor racecars. Geize car was totalled at Mid
Ohio in the late 1960s/early 1970s, and salvageable parts put into a TR3
racecar. So I have concluded at this point that the car history would need to
be outside of the upper midwest.

    The only fragmented facts that I have about this particular car, is that
a previous Mr. Gaasvig purchased the car in Minnesota (late 1960s/early
1970s) from a person who previous raced the car. There was some form of roll
cage in the car, which he removed because it impeded access from the drivers
door, etc. There is evidence in the car of the cage there as Mr. Gaasvig
stated.

    I have found the conversations with some of our earlier Tr2 racers to be
very interesting - wonderful stories. It gave me a much greater appreciation
for Kas's role in improving Triumph competitive position in the US. And
encouraging (about the history of the TR2) to the extent that many of
grassroots racers did specific modifications - replace TR2 engine, gearbox &
rear axle assembly to later Tr3/4 - which were consistent with what is on
this longdoor.

    At this point, I have pretty much concluded that if the car was raced -
it was probably not raced in the upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota) -
so I apparently need to start exploring outside the upper midwest. If any of
you have knowledge about a TR2 longdoor racecar, I would appreciate hearing
from you.

    Regards, Cary