fot

Tristan's clutch

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Tristan's clutch
From: Susan Hensley <racespit@netzero.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 21:39:02 -0600
Hi all!

Thanks to those who replied to Brad's post about Tristan's clutch
problems.  We have finally figured the problem out!

It seems that the previous owner not only extended the fork pin (driven
by the slave cylinder piston) by brazing on a 1/2" extension, he also
was using the 1978-80 Spitfire steel slave cylinder.  This is different
from the previous years' cylinders by being about 1/2" longer.  He
ground the area for the bolt that holds the slave into its housing back
so the cylinder could be pushed farther into the housing.  I have always
had trouble getting the clutch to engage since I got the car -- I had to
tap the slave into the housing a bit at a time with a hammer, and try
the clutch until it caught.  It was a very odd set-up and we have no
idea why he did this.  We put a regular aluminum slave cylinder (1/2"
shorter than the old one) and used a regular pin (and used the normal
mount point) and it works just fine!

So we are quite happy with the result (but still wondering why he did
such counter-productive work!).

Looking forward to seeing ya'll at CVAR on the 16th!  I'm sorry your car
won't be ready, Joe, but glad you'll be there anyway!   The Jack and Joe
Show must go on!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan   :)

Shop online without a credit card