fot

Re: @#$!&*$*!!! tranny circlip

To: greenman62@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: @#$!&*$*!!! tranny circlip
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:02:11 EST
greenman62@hotmail.com writes:

<< I don't have the Churchill tool to do apply the circlip as
 illustrated in the manual. >>

Many years ago, I successfully rebuilt a few transmissions.  I haven't had to
for a long time, partly due to using synthetic gear oil and also having spare
gear boxes.  Not too long ago, I started to work on a transmission in a
hurry.  Must have lost my touch since I splashed the needle bearings.  Off on
a tangent again.

I attempted to make this tool with a section of pipe and 1/4" bar stock,
using my fire ax, and Sears buzz box.  After working all evening welding on
and grinding the three fingers to slip under the circlip, I decided to try
it.  The metal was too soft, and I was about to throw the thing into the
trash can.  Then I heated the fingers red hot and dropped the creation into a
bucket of water.  The case hardening of the fingers allowed me to expand and
lift off the circlip from the shaft.