fot

FOT notes from CVAR March Madness

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: FOT notes from CVAR March Madness
From: Jeff Wilt <jwilt@leighengineering.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:27:44 -0600
March Madness pretty well sums it up, the first outing after MONTHS of
staring at the car in the garage.  Weather was cool but beautiful of the
Friday Test and tune, cloudy and cold on Sat, and threatening Sunday. I got
WET on my cool down lap on the last event.

Nothing can dampen the spririts of Kent Howard, the owner of the jumping
gear TR3.  Just possible that if he changed the number to something other
than 13, his luck might change.  What spirit - while I would have loaded up
and set out for a warm restaurant, Kent started taking things off.  Bob
Kramer somehow enticed his wife and 2 daughters to a) locate, b) load, c)
transport about 5 shifters to the track from Austin to see if a fix could
be found.  Irv Korey nodded sagely.  Often.  Anyone who fly in just to
watch earns the right to nod thusly!  Joe Alexander had itchy drivers feet,
and no race car.  Gotta be frustrating.

Additional TR in attendance were Bob K's TR4, my TR3, and the Hensley Spit
(which unfortunately ended the weekend spitting out of the carbs.)  Richard
Hardison's TR3 was not ready, but will make the show in May.  He spent the
weekend watching my lines around the track ....hope I didn't give away too
much?  I ran the weekend in Group4 , pre 60's cars, and ran with 2 356, 1
AH 3000, 2 Formula Jrs, 2 bugeyes ( both of which sprouted OD and larger
wheels since last season, and stayed close! - when not spinning behind me!)
and a beautiful Porsche Cooper driven very fast.  4th overall, second in
class was the way it went each event.

I let Kent take the TR3 out during the final session Saturday, and Irv got
to run in Bob Kramers' TR4 as well. Some fairly large smiles afterwards.
 At the party Sat night, the corner works gave me severe grief about the
black flag for an open face mask in the last session - they still think I
was driving!  If any photographs of the car show up in any mags, it'll
figure that the guest drivers will be at the wheel.  We had a ball, a great
weekend meeting new friends in the TR madness, hope everyone made it home
safely.

#39, Screaming Yellow TR3A
Tired Dog Racing
Jeff