fot

Re: : Driver restraints

To: gasket.works@gte.net
Subject: Re: : Driver restraints
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:48:11 EST
In a message dated 03/20/2001 9:41:51 PM Central Standard Time,
gasket.works@gte.net writes:

> Somehow, I
> recall that pre-loading the spine in compression by having the shoulder
> harness pull down on the clavicles actually, excerbated spinal injuy.
> My shoulder harness is actually attached  about 5deg above my shoulders.
> Only the lap belt holds me down.

Mordy:

Interesting.

I drive with my shoulder restraints pulled down as tight as I can stand them.
 I choose to do this on purpose in an effort to reduce the amount of sway in
the upper part of my body going around turns.  There's way to much Bill
Dentinger hanging out of my TR3 to begin with, and if the shoulder restraints
are not winched down tight, I flop around in the seat.  I never considered I
might be preloading a problem for any sudden impact.  I did hit a tire wall
head on at Gateway years ago, but that was like hitting a sponge.  I wonder
what the right thing to do is.  Cinch em down tight or loose?

Bill Dentinger