fot

Couple of questions....

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Couple of questions....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:50:00 -0600
First, does anyone have experience with drilling drain holes in lifters?
I'm pretty well convinced that putting drain holes in the bottom of the
lifter is a bad idea, but, has anyone drilled holes in the lower side of
the lifter without adverse effect?

Second, and I suppose this is a question mostly for Kas, since it
appears in the Triumph competition guides, what is the preferable method
of checking for the correct amount of material removed from the upper
side of the head of the inlet valve? Is this best done with a template,
or what? I'm not concerned with the means of cutting, since that's
well-explained.

I'm mostly concerned with obtaining uniformity for all valves. Is there
a simple way to check all valves after or during cutting? I have a lathe
to do the work, but don't have a radius cutter attachment, which would
make uniform cutting possible. Is a hard template the best way to check
this profile, or there a better or simpler way?

Cheers, and thanks.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.