fot

RE: cooling? (REVISED)

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cooling? (REVISED)
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 14:13:00 -0400
Pardon my miscue.  My error, in the first paragraph, has been corrected below
in capital letters.

Jack (B)

************

Jack,

For the street cars, the conventional wisdom is to block off the bypass, but
leave a small hole. With a T-stat and a blocked bypass there will be
essentially no water flow when the T-STAT IS CLOSED.

In my engine, I use a modern thermostat, a Robertshaw (#330-160 HiFlow) and I
have a 1/4 hole in the bypass block to allow some water to circulate back to
the head and block.  BTW - I use the Robertshaw HiFlow because it has about
twice the open area of a normal T-stat, which according to the recent threads
about the desirable water pressure in a block may or may not be a good thing.

Conversely, since this is a race engine not a street engine, I believe you
could accomplish the same result by leaving the bypass blocked, but add a few
small holes in the T-stat itself, allowing some small amount of water to flow
through the radiator at all times.  This would protect the block and head from
localized overheating, etc., during warm up, but still control the flow of
water during the race, to reduce the overcooling. (Overcooling - Is this a
Triumph?)

The bottom line is to make sure some water can flow through the engine at all
times. You don't want localized overheating, then rapid cooing when the T-stat
finally opens up.

Jack Brooks