fot

Re: Feeling Nostalgic

To: wdayton@attglobal.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Feeling Nostalgic
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:01:47 EDT
Wes:

I don't wish to confuse you with a lot of acronyms, but I think the oldest
club in the USA is the VSCCA out east.  A definitive answer will probably
come from them.  They are into history.  Not too many TRIUMPH members in that
group.  TRIUMPHs are too common for them.  A TRS, TR3S, DOVE, PEERLESS,
ITALIA or such would be welcome, but not the rest of us common, unwashed folk
are persona non gratta.  Henry Adamson, the Historian of the VSCDA (my home
club) should have an answer.  I'll check with him, as soon as I can reach
him.  I am going to guess that there were hill climbs and speed trials in the
1920s and 1930s, but no road racing until after WWII.  I'll get back to you
on this.

Several years ago, the VSCDA (my home club) held a joint meet with the
vintage motor cycle club at BLACKHAWK FARMS.  There was some apprehension
early on, but it worked GREAT.  Everyone got along.  We shared paddock areas.
 Everyone was interested in what the other was doing.  It was great.  The
bikers are crazy, and wanted to run some sessions with us, but we would have
no part of it.  We stopped doing it because they wanted too much track time,
for the top dollar they would pay.  We have not done it since.  But it was
great.  All those old NORTONs, TRIUMPHs, BSAs etc., etc.,

Bill Dentinger