fot

RE: shifter fork screw

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: shifter fork screw
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:29:11 -0700
The butterfly impact might help, but the 8-point doesn't much, nor does
Kroil.

The problem is that the pins used on the later transmissions (not sure when
the change point was, but earlier trannys used safety wire) have a locking
insert in the side.  The hole for the insert takes away a significant
fraction of the shank of the pin, forming a weak spot.

I recently disassembled two top covers with the insert pins, broke 4 out of
6 pins, all at the insert.  Heat seemed to help, a little, but I still broke
2 screws using heat.