fot

Re: Lousy wheel bearings

To: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lousy wheel bearings
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:41:14 -0400
At 01:06 PM 6/12/2001 +0000, Greg wrote:

>   Henry,
>
>     Take your bearings and races to a local bearing supply to get
>     Timkins.
>
>     These items are available "locally" there's no need to send across
>     the "BWS" to get TR bearings

I had an order going to Rimmers for parts for the Stag, and Rimmers carries
TR6 stuff. Their prices were almost 1/2 what I could get the bearings here
for. Too bad I now see why, they sourced the inboard bearing from Japan.
Absolutely lesser quaility. The Timken outers are the same as I can buy here.

I think I will probably go for the Drews/Southwick aluminium hubs. They use
bigger bearings, capable of handling higher loads.

>  BTW, I replaced my felt seals
>     with "space age plastic" about a month ago... so far no probs.

Neat, where did you get them?

>     BTW, will I be seeing you at Mid Ohio?

You betcha!  No wait, that was what I said when I went to road America in
Wiscooonsin.   ;-)

I'll be there! Looking forward to seeing you again. Will Scott be there?