fot

Re: Lousy wheel bearings

To: greenman62@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Lousy wheel bearings
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:54:06 -0600
I always go to the local bearing and seal monger for bearings and always
try to get stuff made in the USA. I have, however taken in a bearing only
to be told " they don't make this bearing".

But you're holding one in your hand.

That doesn't make any difference, They don't make it.

Then, if it isn't made, where did that bearing come from?

A manufacturer probably had it made for a special application.

I don't think so. These folks are really "off-the-shelf" kind of folks.
They would never have something custom made, this isn't aerospace
technology or anything, just a sports car wheel bearing. Do you have any
ideas?

I don't know. There is no listing for such a bearing. We have no
alternative to offer.

I did find the bearings, they were made in Japan, the originals were from
England. the new bearings were on the shelf at a specialty supplier. It
was a sealed ball bearing, not a tapered roller.

Timken is a solid brand name that I don't think I've ever seen a poor
quality product from them. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that Timken
invented the tapered roller bearing. If so, they should be the best.

Seals are another matter. Been shot down many times with seals. They do
seem to be something that manufacturers have custom fabricated. They can
often come up with a seal that would "make do", but were not made of the
same stuff in the same style

The prices for locally obtained bearings have always been lower, and you
don't have to pay additional freight!

Bill GT-6+

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:06:57 "" <greenman62@hotmail.com> writes:
> >From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
> >To: fot@autox.team.net
> >Subject: Lousy wheel bearings
> >Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:58:37 -0400
> >
> >Hey there, gang o' gearheads,
> >
> >Two events ago I replaced my front wheel bearings.  I got the
> bearings from
> >Rimmer Bros. in England. (I drive a Stag, England is only place to
> get Stag
> >stuff) The outer bearing was the familiar Timken, the inner was a
> Japanese
> >bearing.
> >
> >No problems with the bearings both times out. They ran fine, no
> indication
> >of problems.
> >
> >When I popped out the felt seal and took the rear bearing out, both
> races
> >looked like this:
> >
> >http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/bearing/
> >
> >Yikes, two events...
> >
> >Looks like Timken is the only way to go. Of course, you experienced
> folks
> >probably know that one already, but it seems like a pretty easy
> trap for us
> >newcomers to fall into.
>
>    Henry,
>
>      Take your bearings and races to a local bearing supply to get
>      Timkins.
>
>      These items are available "locally" there's no need to send
> across
>      the "BWS" to get TR bearings BTW, I replaced my felt seals
>      with "space age plastic" about a month ago... so far no probs.
>
>      BTW, will I be seeing you at Mid Ohio?
>
>     Greg

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!