fot

Race Report

To: Frank Axelrod <Frankster@mindspring.com>
Subject: Race Report
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:29:57 -0700
Had a lovely weekend in Portland for the Zupan's Portland Historics.
Peyote ran great on Friday, qualified on the pole on Saturday, but
overheated and DNF'ed during the Saturday race when the bolt on the end of
the water pump broke (weird). Our entire pit area had an amazing streak of
bad luck with an assortment of cracked blocks (two, both fords--one a
Cortina twin cam and one in Ladybird) blown clutches, cracked wheels the
bad luck culminated in a total writeoff of a Formula V (without injury).
At least my problem was an easy fix--new water pump, belt and hose.

So I started from the back on Sunday (34th of 36) and finished first. As a
matter of fact I was in first by the ninth lap. Peyote was running great
and I turned a 1.34.95, nearly three seconds faster than my previous best
time. In second was a Devin Triumph, well driven by Tony Garmy. Very nice
car. I lapped almost half the field by the end of 15 laps, and I was just
cruising for most of the second half, until the Devin started showing in
my mirrors again.

There's nothing like a bunch of cars to pass to get your juices flowing.
The leaders were down on their Saturday times when I was having a hard
time staying in front of them. I think it's hard to go fast with an empty
track in front of you. By the time I got to them I was flying low, and I
got by all three leaders in less than a lap and had no problem pulling
away.

Peyote strikes again.