fot

RE:Magnesium Wheel Value

To: "Friends Of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>, <britauto@ihpc.net>
Subject: RE:Magnesium Wheel Value
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:45:48 -0700
Bruce,

I have a set of these wheels acquired 20 years ago with my TR4A. Several
people told me at the time that for what I paid I got "a great set of wheels
with a car attached". I paid $1700 for the wheels and the car. These wheels
were sold through the American dealerships and I am told, manufactured by
American Racing Wheels and called 'Silverstones'.

My wheels have no markings anywhere in the castings that I have detected. I
have two exact replicas of these wheels in aluminum. I use one for the
spare. I don't believe any 'replicas' would have been made from magnesium as
it has fallen out of favor as a wheel material (brittle, porous, fire
hazard?). These wheels require constant maintenance as they corrode quickly
and coatings don't seem to stick.

A set of these wheels with some damage sold for over $1250 on Ebay recently
(without spinners, I believe). They are worth whatever someone is willing to
pay. They are a very sought after original Dealer Accessory (they were not a
factory accessory).

Hope this helps!

Brad
65 TR4A - with Magnesium 'Silverstones'
62 TR4 - with 4 spoke aluminum 'Cokebottles'