fot

Re: Detroit Locker Update

To: "Hart" <wenal@adelphia.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Detroit Locker Update
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:18:41 -0400
To all FOT listers,

I've been watching this Detroit Locker thread for a few days and think I'll
jump in the water. I hope it's not the deep end!
I've had personal experience with a D/L on a street TR4A and it was not a
pleasant experience. Excessive rear steer to the point of danger. If you
were not ready for the reaction to power application an entire lane could be
jumped almost instantly. There may well have been some other suspension
related reasons but my car is kept in a pretty good state of mechanical
repair so if there were other reason the were not very evident. I took it
out of the car and it sat on the bench for several years and I recently sold
it to a fellow lister via the TR List. I must say there was interest as I
had many requests for information and might have sold several more if I had
them. I was careful to sell it to someone who understood the unique
characteristics of these units especially if going to be used on the street.

When I was selling I got several comments from notable TR racing experts who
all said that they would not recommend using the D/L on the street for the
reasons I mentioned so there seems to be some agreement that they are
uncomfortable to use and can cause some strange reactions to power
application.

If you are looking to identify a unit by referencing some dimensions just
compare them to the current ring gear carrier in your differential. It's a
drop in exchange so bearing locations are the same side to side as are the
mounting holes and bolt circle for the ring gear.

I will be happy to try and answer any additional questions that anyone has
to the limit of my knowledge of these things. I'm a happy ex-owner of one.
Look for another alternative.

Jerry Van Vlack