fot

welded gears

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: welded gears
From: "ALFABAKER" <ALFABAKER@Cedar-Rapids.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:20:34 -0500
Bric and post Bric recovery have caused me to be late getting in on
this thread, but here's my two cents worth: I filled the gear spaces
on my old TR3 with weld and had abit of a steep learning curve.  Turn
in was consistent only if the power was on - forget late braking
except for really slow corners.  Going slow was an SOB because alot of
weight had to be transferred off the inside tire before the scrubbing
would cease being a factor.  I had alot of trouble on pace laps! I
never did learn what the local circle dirt guys told me to do - pitch
it in roughly to get alot of weight transfer early.  Seemed a bad
habit to develop when smoothness was a goal. I had stock springs in
the back and a hefty front sway bar and I think that combination made
things worse as they served to resist the necessary weight transfer.
It may have been the welding method used (stick) or some other
operator problem, but we also had to inspect the inside for loose
metal junk after every race and there was usually some present in
assorted sizes.  We had no axle or other diff related failures in the
time we ran the car.  On a rough track, I could beat the detroit
equipped cars in some corners because my welded diff was not locking
and unlocking with the bumps.  On smooth tracks, I never saw any
advantage except cost. I never autox'd the old thing so I have no
comments on that.

art de armond