fot

Re: Smiths dual oil/water temp gauge - conclusion

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smiths dual oil/water temp gauge - conclusion
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:56:55 -0600
Thanks to all on the lists who responded to my request.  I got a
variety of responses several of which surprised me.  Apparantly
Steve Hedke (Team Scrappy) has the same gauge as I do and has been
running it for 2 hears on Scrappy.  His solution was to go to the
local hardware store and buy a 3/8" brass close nipple.  He bored
the ID slightly to fit the sensor bulb and threaded the nipple
into the thermostat housing and then plugged the sensor in and
tightened the nut down.  He's been running this way for two years
without a problem.  And we all know what kind of punishment he
puts Scrappy through!

Alan Taylor provided me with Jaguar part number C9621.  I have not
yet tried to locate this part.  I'm not familiar with any Jaguar
dealers and haven't had the time to pursue that angle just yet.
Tonight or tomorrow I'll try and spend some time tracking this
lead down.

I had a lot of responses saying that MG and Healey used similar
gauges.  As it turns out, after talking with Paul Oglesby and
having him check his Smith's catalogs the gauge I have with
the /00 suffix is listed in the catalog as a "supplemental" gauge
and not something that was apparently installed by car the
manufacturer.

Michael Porter provided me with a link to Gower Oaks in England.
http://www.gower-oaks.co.uk/ Gower Oaks apparently bought the
original tooling and the rights to use the Smiths name and is now
reproducing the original gauges from the original tooling.  Best
of all their prices are down right reasonable.  They sell the dual
purpose oil pressure/water temp gauges for about 40 pounds
sterling.  Thats a bargain compared to what some of these gauges
sell for on eBay.  Anyway, Gower Oaks sells adapters for various
threads one of which might just work for the gauge I have.

Only thing I have to determine is the thread pitch of the
thermostat housing opening where the sensor screws into on a TR3
engine.  If anyone has that thread size I would appreciate hearing
about it!

Thanks again to all who responded!

Brad