fot

Re: Basic Question...Expected Hp Difference

To: N197TR4@cs.com
Subject: Re: Basic Question...Expected Hp Difference
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:26:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 N197TR4@cs.com wrote:

> Timing  34 to 28: that's interesting...and consistant with another piece of
> information that I recieved.
>
> But what does 16/16 and 13/16 mean?

As Joe B. replied these refer to the valve lash settings, intake/exhaust.
It is likely okay to run the intake valves a little "tighter" than the
exhaust valves. The theory is that the intake valve runs cooler than the
exhaust valves, hence the intake valve do not need "as much time on the
seat".

The advantage is that by making the lash tighter, you effectively increase
the amount of time the valve is "on the cam". This allows more air to
enter while the valve opens/closes. It's almost like "free horsepower".

But don't go too crazy on this. If you make them too tight, you will
likely burn valves.

For a good reference of this application, listen to JK Jackson's FSP Solo
II TR6. Almost everyone hears the car idle and assumes there's a non-stock
cam in there. It sounds really kool.

I have set up both my TR6's with tighter intake than exhaust. I have no
dyno numbers, but they both seem to make pretty good power.

But whatever you do, don't run the exhaust valves tighter than the cam
spec.! Running the exhausts tight is a bad thing.

> Good thread.

Yes it is.

> joe a

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |