fot

Racing is a great distraction

To: "'fot@autox.team.net '" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing is a great distraction
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:54:30 -0700
I halfway expected SOVREN's fall finale to be cancelled last weekend, but
I was sure glad it wasn't. It was wonderful to do something that demanded
my full attention.

Peyote did wonderfully, as usual. We had two races on Saturday, one a
standard race and the other a handicap. I won both. the handicap race was
cool--the fastest cars started at the start/finish line (standing start)
and the rest of the cars were in groups around the track according to
finish times in race one, with the slowest cars starting a lap ahead. It
was a real dash, very strange. After I got away from the small pack of
fast cars there was no one to pass until the last two laps, and there was
thirty cars in a big wad, with the faster cars just starting to get by the
middle slowest.

Sunday I begged to be put into a faster group so I'd have someone to race
with (I was turning four seconds a lap faster than the car in second in my
group)so they stuck me in with all the 911s and stuff. I had to start from
the back since I hadn't qualified in the goup, and made my way up to
seventh. Turned my besst time of the weekend--1:41 something, the leader
did about the same. What a car! Sunday afternoon was a 1 1/2 hour enduro.
My tires were going away badly, but I decided to run anyway. I spun out
twice and still finished fairly far up, thought there were a lot of big
bore cars and lotus 23s blasting past me, and one very wicked Ferrari

I toasted my trans. Lools like it blew the oil out somehow. I guess I'll
be sending it down your way Hardy. I want to run in the Maryhill Loops
Hillclimb next month, so I'll swipe the trans out of the TR3.

I know everyone is still numb. Personally, I think I'd like a do-over on
most of 2001. One of our employees had a daughter in the WTC, but she got
out. An absolute miracle. What a senseless tragedy.

I'm spending a lot of time with friends and family. It's a time to hold
those important things close. My best wishes to all of you.