fot

Re: Calculating MPH

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Calculating MPH
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:14:21 EDT
In a message dated 10/15/2001 2:05:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj: Calculating MPH
> Date: 10/15/2001 2:05:07 PM Central Daylight Time
> From:    kaskas@earthlink.net (R. Kastner)
> Sender:    owner-fot@autox.team.net
> To:    fot@autox.team.net
>

> I was just reading the thread on this subject and offer my own formula that
> has proved easy to use and a lifelong history with me.
>
> RPM w final drive ratio  X  tire diameter in inches w  336 = MPH
>
> Example: 5000rpm w 3.7   X   24.5" w 336 =  98.5 MPH or

Kas:

We've done similar, using an electronic spread sheet program.  We use
Visicalc and Works, but I think most people have Excel.  we have different
printouts for different Trannys and with and without overdrive.  We get the
actual 'revolutions per mile' from the tire manufacturer (usually on the tire
spec sheet), and then we have a spread sheet that calculates the actual MPH
in each gear, for every so many increments (I think 25 or 50 rpms).  It is
kind of interesting.  Of course we are using the old Triumph mechanical Tach,
but I guess it is all relative.

Bill Dentinger

PS

If someone wants a copy, contact me off list and I'll send it.  It will be in
Microsoft Works Spread Sheet Format, but I think Excel will open it.