fot

Re: 6 cylinder pushrod length required

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: Re: 6 cylinder pushrod length required
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:37:57 EST
In a message dated 02/12/01 19:41:57 GMT Standard Time, kaskas@earthlink.net
writes:

> Subj:Re: 6 cylinder pushrod length required
> Date:02/12/01 19:41:57 GMT Standard Time
> From:    kaskas@earthlink.net (Kas Kastner)
> To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com
>
> The length is also effected by the base circle diameter of the camshaft.
If
> you have a re-ground cam the rod will come out shorter due to the reduction
> of the base circle of the cam. Cams, even stock, can have a very different
> base circle diameter so a known length dosen't mean it will be what you
> want.

GT6-2,
> > and
> > > GT6-3 [up to KE/KF10000].
> > >
> > > but NOT part # 129058 from the Vitesse 6, 2-Litre Mk.1 or GT6-1.
> > >
> > > nor part #  149513 from GT6-3 [from KE/KF10001], Triumph 2000 Mk.2, TR6
> > [all
> > > CP models]
> > > (this one is 20.6 cm, or 8.11" long, to the end of the 'ball').
> > >
> > > nor part # 148916 from TR6 [all CR models]
> > > (this one is 21.1 cm 8.30" long).
> > >
> > > Could anyone please confirm the length of 151073 ?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance

Rob, Kas, Thanking you both for your responses,

Further to the above, the reason that I need to know the length of 151073 is
because I presently have fitted to my Vitesse Mk.2/GT6+ engine, a Holbay
camshaft  of "Inlet 37/67 exhaust 73/31", this has worked, and continues to
work very well indeed for the last 9,000+ miles, with a slightly raised
compression ratio, (only about half a ratio), and the rocker gear presently
comprising an OE Triumph shaft of the correct hardness, lightened and
balanced rocker arms with the oilways slightly opened up, and bushed with
oilite phosphor bronze...and taking the cam lift via standard pushrods
151073.

I have obtained from Ted Schumacher a set of Roller Rockers, (as original 1.5
ratio), which I intend to fit to my present rocker shaft, along with the
solid spacers that I currently have fitted instead of spacer springs, (long
gone).

At the same time, I think it would be a good idea if I replace the original
151073 pushrods with tubular chrome moly pushrods of the correct length for
ultimate reliability at high rpm.

However, I need to order the correct pushrods and have them in my possession
before I take down the top of my engine to do the neccessary work, and all I
have in my possession at the moment is one set of 149513 pushrods from a TR6
(CP), which measure 8.11" and one set of chrome moly pushrods (on loan),
which measure 8.3" (suitable for a TR6 (CR)).

Therefore, I still do not know the length of the 151073 pushrods presently
working perfectly well in my engine!

I know that since I am not altering the camshaft from the present spec, nor
am I removing the cylinder head, and the roller rockers are 1.5 ratio, just
like those presently fitted, I would be well advised to fit chrome moly
tubular pushrods of the exact same length also.

Does that make sense?

Regards

LC)on

1921 French Grand Prix driver: Albert Guyot, to Ernest Ballot ,
"Therebs only one winner in any race: the man who gets home first."

1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.