fot

Re: Government assault on our toys!

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Government assault on our toys!
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:40:35 -0700
Joe,

I think there is something to worry about. When the scrappage programs
were to credit serious polluters for their transgressions there were
polluters that cleaned out salvage yards to gather credits to apply
against their mess making. This was easier than cleaning up their
processes. Those were only in some states. Federal programs nationwide
could mean thousands and thousands of cars reduced to new washing
machines. This would be a bad thing to get started. I'm sure that you
would not take your car in, but what about the parts car or project car
you haven't found yet.. There it goes, being hauled off just as you
arrive to negotiate for it. Besides, how often does the Government pass a
law with a given intent and get something all together different. Do not
also assume that everyone with a classic car, badly in need of
restoration or a 100 point concours car is in their right mind.

Hot Rod Magazine on TV, Speedvision, has shown cars that have been
rescued from some of these programs, someone scrapped a classic. The new
legislation will probably not allow such rescues as crushing is to be
required!

The folks at SEMA, Hemmings, Old Cars, and others are concerned about
this.
Do not bury your head in the sand and think that this will have no effect
on what you do.
It's a bit like "We just want to make a list of who has what guns, just a
list mind you."

Bill