fot

Re: TR6 pistons/Rear axle set-up

To: Allen Washatko <awashatko@tkwa.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 pistons/Rear axle set-up
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:43:45 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Allen Washatko wrote:

> YO!

Yo, backatcha.

> I'm rebuilding my motor and I would like to use Venollia pistons.

If this a a street motor, forget it. You'll get a lot of piston slap if
you're talking forged pistons. Stock pistons are okay up to 10:1 or so.

> Does anyone know a source for them - like a race shop, etc. - where I
> could work with someone to help spec the right match-up?

How about Venolia? The pistons are about $50 each, but by the time you do
all the good stuff to 'em, it's more like $100 each. For example, you
_want_ 4130 pins.

If you call Venolia, they'll ask you to tell 'em the measurements. I'm not
an engineer, so I asked if they could take the measurements from
anexisting piston. The answer is yes.

A far easier solution is to go to Ted Schumacher or Ken Gillanders and get
a set of JE pistons...

But the big question is: how are you going to use the motor? I'm serious
that forged is a waste on a street motor.

> I'm currently running standard rear axles and would like to upgrade
> to something stronger so I can run softer rubber. Does anyone have a
> modification that is viable?

Yes. There are folks on this list that will help you get a set 'o Corvair
axles in that puppy. I highly recommend this update for a race car on
slicks. If you're goal is more "street prepared", you need to think about
rules and how they effect your project.

> There is a system from England but I
> understand it hasn't performed well. I've also heard about a Datsun Z
> conversion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Z conversion is like the Corviar setup. You replace the outer axle
stub, hub carrier and outer u-joint.

Stay away from the CV joint setups unless they use forged axles.

There's at least one other TR6 dude in WI that's done this conversion...
Hi Jim!

> Regards,
>
> Allen

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |