fot

RE: tolerable DRIVE SHAFT run out?

To: "'BillDentin@aol.com'" <BillDentin@aol.com>, Kaskas@earthlink.net
Subject: RE: tolerable DRIVE SHAFT run out?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:37:47 -0800
There are lots of driveshaft shops that will check and dynamically balance
your driveshaft.
I've had several made from bits and pieces. When the pros finish with them
they are pretty, straight, and perfectly balanced. Don't even mess with
measurements, it's cheap to get it done.

By the way, unless you have true overdrive, I doubt your driveshaft is
getting to 13K.

In my humble experience, high end miss is usually caused by the familiar
old bugaboos--fuel or spark, most likely spark. Even if it doesn't happen
in the lower gears. High gear, high RPM is the highest load your engine
sees, which means highest combustion chamber pressure and highest voltage
required for the spark. It's also frequently caused by too lean a
mixture--same root cause. I'd try closing the plug gap to .010" and see if
that has any effect. If it does, it's your sparks--and it doesn't matter
what kind of system you have, you can have something truly bodacious and a
weak coil at high RPM will let you down.

The second thing to try is going up big on the main jet. I don't know
whether you have SUs or Webers. If it's webers, go up four or five steps,
and see what happens. It won't be optimal, but it'll tell you what's going
on.