fot

Re: tolerable DRIVE SHAFT run out?

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: tolerable DRIVE SHAFT run out?
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:44:31 -0800
Bill's got the answer as far as the driveshaft is concerned.  You can't do
it yourself for  or as well as the pros do and it's generally peretty cheap.
Frankly I've never had any problem and .020" dosen't sound like a lot to me
, depending on length of the driveshaft.  As Bill has already stated the
demand at full song in top is REALLY high and you must make certain all the
electrics are putting out their fair share and a little more.  We did have
this kind of thing with the TR-6 when the alternator  (Lucas) would die but
when we fitted the Motorola that all went away forever. Another thing of
course is the fuel demand.  Is the needle and seat big enough to supply the
demand at the speed?  Most stock carbs do NOT have a big enough needle and
seata when the engine is highly modified and you'll run out in top when
running hard. Sometimes you can shut the engine down clean when at the high
revs and the missing going on , then check to see if the float chambers are
at the proper height. ( of course pull the lid and check the fuel height
before you start this manuver) If the engine is hot from several runs the
S.U.'s will perk over a bit and this won't work but the Webers should give
you a clue. At the same time I've had fuel pumps that just did not deliver
enoguh fuel for the power requirment and you need at least 15 gals per hour.
Test with a quart can and a stop watch. I don't know anything about the
engine you are talking about so without some more detail I guess my guess is
just another guess.(hah!).