fot

RE: Mahle pistons and liners

To: "BOB KRAMER" <rgk@flash.net>, "FOT LIST" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mahle pistons and liners
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:46:39 -0800
Bob,

I used a set of 87mm Mahles in my street/AutoX TR3 engine.  So far, so good, but
my engine doesn't see "real" racing either.

The only downside I know about them was that my (really picky) machinist
indicated that the piston set I had varied considerably in weight piston to
piston.  I don't know what he felt was considerable, since the work was done
before I had any weights.  When I got them, the pistons were all exactly the
same weight, as were the conrods, etc.  I don't believe it was a big deal, but I
could see where he had trimmed back the inside skirt edges of three of the
pistons to get the weights even.

I don't believe these pistons can be considered light though.

Jack Brooks