fot

TR4 water outlet

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 water outlet
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:54:07 -0600
I'm working on another limited run project to solve a TR2-3-4 problem
and I'd like some feedback to indicate how many folks might be
interested in this.

The cooling system plumbing on our TR's presents some challenges for
tidy installation. It seems that any aftermarket or special radiator
ends up with the filler opening lower than the aluminum water outlet on
top of the head. This causes us to fit expansion tanks and the attendant
hoses, or to put a petcock in the top of the aluminum outlet, which then
causes us to wonder if the system is really full.

We're working on a new aluminum water outlet. It would have the radiator
cap mounted directly on it. The height of the cap would be below the
highest point of the rocker cover so it should clear the hood okay. We
will incorporate provisions for the bypass hose, the water temperature
sender, and the thermostat. So, end result, is a new part that does
evrything the old part does, but has the radiator cap on it.

We've looked at just modifying the present part, but the material from
which it is made is really poor and nearly impossible to weld, and most
of those in existence are quite corroded. We've tried to find a
currently available part, but cannot find an American part with the same
bolt pattern.

We don't have a price yet, because it will depend in part on the run
quantity. Similar parts made in quantities for Chevvies are between $50
and $75, so ours may cost somewhat more than that.

Would you please email me if you think you would be interested -- I
won't keep track, I just need a quantity for planning. When the part
becomes available, I'll send out pricing and ordering info.

Thanks.

--

uncle jack