fot

Lug nuts

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lug nuts
From: "Richard Taylor" <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:26:38 -0500
Amichi,
I'm converting my TR-4 (vintage racer)from wire wheels to mags.  On the
front wheels I torgued the studs to 35 ft.lbs and the lug nuts to 65 lbs.
No problem. On the rear hubs I did the same thing except that when I torqued
the lug nuts, two of them striped out just before the 65 ft-lb mark. I
helicoiled in the two new studs and torgued the lug nuts to oonly 55 lbs.
But now I'm having seconds thoughts. First off, under the best of conditions
there appears to be only about 1/4" of purchase length with the stud and
secondly, how good is a helicoil.
Help!
A little experience in this arena would be greatly appreciated.
Richard Taylor
Atlanta