fot

Re: Lug nuts

To: n196x@mindspring.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lug nuts
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:49:04 EST
n196x@mindspring.com writes:

<< I helicoiled in the two new studs and torgued the lug nuts to oonly 55 lbs.
 But now I'm having seconds thoughts. First off, under the best of conditions
 there appears to be only about 1/4" of purchase length with the stud and
 secondly, how good is a helicoil. >>

I might not fully understand what is going on, but many years ago I installed
3" - 7/16" Morosso studs in place of the ones that screw into the hubs.  If I
remember correctly, you might have to drill the holes slightly and then push
the studs in through the back of the hubs.  You can then pull the stud
splines into the hub with a lug nut.  No rocket science -- I did the mod.
myself.  Later, I went to 1/2" studs in the front for the aluminum hubs.

The manual says 45 ft-LB torque for the 7/16" studs.  I use 55 ft-LB of
torque.  On the front with 1/2" studs, 85 ft-LB of torque.  I check the
torques after every practice and race, since the nuts sometimes loosen due to
the use of aluminum spacer plates behind the rims.