fot

Re: Overdrive Wiring or Not

To: cartravel@pobox.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive Wiring or Not
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 00:11:28 EDT
A few Overdrive Wiring schemes have been described which incorporate some
safety features, and maybe I should consider some of them.

All I have ever done, or thought of, or seen others do was to wire the OD
solenoid directly to an On/Off switch with a big red idiot light mounted to
the dash to tell me when I was in Overdrive.  The switch is mounted under the
gear shift knob, and can be throw forward to engage Overdrive and pulled back
to disengage Overdrive.  The corner workers use to bitch about a big red
light going on and off while I was going around the track.  You have to lift
your foot off of the accelerator while shifting into Overdrive.

Make sure that the red light is out if you want to back up and not lit while
in first gear.  For years, I used a gear shift knob for the split shift
transmissions on trucks, and there was a slide switch on the side of the
knob.  When this switch finally failed and I couldn't find another one, I
took Ted Shoemaker's advice of mounting a toggle on/off switch on a plate
jammed under the gear shift knob.