fot

Re: 0.020" Crankshaft Rod Journels

To: <WEmery7451@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 0.020" Crankshaft Rod Journels
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:16:06 +1200
When the 24 hour Le Mans spitfire engines were prepared they were built
with -40 main bearings and -30 big ends, the reasoning being that undersize
bearings have a small circumference therefore less drag. So the problem
isn't anything to do with the size of bearings, just the materials and way
the bearings are made. Virtually all bearings now made are the cheaper to
manufacture "Glacier" type where aluminium powder is pressed into place.
Unfortunately the surface of these has a habit of falling off when they are
stressed ie subject to high revs and high shear forces. Vandervall bearings
which were specified for all Triumphs from 1961 have a cast surface, lead
over copper, and this will not come away when abused. The whole position of
which bearings where which became very murky in the mid nineties when both
Glacier and Vandervall were owned by AE (formerly Associated Engineering)
and the subsequent purchase of AE by Federal Mogul has probably made things
worse. There are I think in theory three manufactures of decent bearings for
Triumphs, Vandervall - but they must have a stylised VP on the back,
Glacier - but only with an LC (for lead copper) on the reverse, and an
Israeli manufacturer (King?) sold as heavy duty versions. All these bearings
have a dull lead finish to the bearing surface, all shiny ones are the
poorer quality. Any engine that is going to be subject to high revs must
have the decent bearings fitted, the only problem is finding them.
John Kipping